How A Leading Health System is Tackling the
Opioid Crisis Head-On
The CDC estimates that nearly 80 people die of opioid overdose each day in the United States. Opioid overuse is a critical and widespread issue, and the need for interventions is becoming an urgent priority for many health systems.
L.E.K. Consulting’s new Executive Insights, “How Intermountain Healthcare Developed Its Pain Management Strategy,” examines what a group of caregivers are doing to help patients cope with pain while tackling the opioid over-prescription problem head-on.
Some key takeaways from the white paper:
- Opioid addiction has reached crisis proportions in the United States.
- Recognizing that pain is an issue in every care setting, Intermountain developed a program that:
1. Enables primary care physicians to offer alternative ways to manage their patients’ pain symptoms
2. Takes a multidisciplinary approach to managing pain in other outpatient settings
3. Provides hospitals with pain specialist consults to help improve outcomes for chronic pain patients while offering opioid alternatives to other patients
Published: November 2017